What We Do and How You Gain From It
At ACEC-BC, we strive to educate the public, inform owners, and build government relations. This is the work we do on behalf of the industry. Additionally, ACEC-BC provides access to a number of exclusive programs, events and resources to enhance opportunities. While the ACEC-BC membership may be a corporate membership, the best results are seen when it's the individuals who take advantage of these different opportunities and are empowered to further their careers and lead change in the industry. Here is what we have to offer:
Time is of value, therefore leave the event planning to ACEC-BC and allow us to help you fast-track your networking by attending any of the following activities:
Client Mixer Events
- The mixer events create business development opportunities for members by giving them a chance to network with clients in an informal setting. These events, held throughout the year with clients such as BC Hydro, Translink, and local governments/municipalities, allow our members to learn more about major projects and capital spending their clients have planned for the future.
Awards for Engineering Excellence
- Our annual Awards for Engineering competition is a great way for member companies to showcase the amazing work they do each year. Submitted projects are featured at our prestigious Awards Gala and province-wide Road Show exhibit, while Award recipients receive exposure in a post-gala media package.
- Each year ACEC-BC co-hosts a Transportation Conference with the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure and Translink.
The knowledge acquired from post-secondary education is indispensable; however after listening to our members, it was clear that sessions on 'soft skills' would complement one's current technical skill set. We have developed a Professional Development Series to touch on subjects such as Business Development, Personal Branding and Writing Proposals to name a few. The latest seminars are listed on our Events Calendar or review our Annual Calendar at a Glance.
In addition, our Professional Development seminars are verifiable under the APEGBC Professional Development requirements, and our sessions also qualify as CPD activities as outlined in the ASTTBC guidelines.
BUILD YOUR PROFILE
Awards Road Show
- The Awards Road Show is an exhibit featuring all of the projects submitted each year for awards consideration. The exhibit is displayed at high traffic locations throughout BC, such as city/municipal halls, ferry terminals and post-secondary institutions in an effort to expose the public to the impressive engineering feats our members accomplish.
- Our membership directory provides the public the tools to find a consulting engineering firms that match their needs.
- With your ACEC-BC membership, you also receive a membership with ACEC-Canada, the national consulting engineering association. Visit www.acec.ca.
ACEC-BC's Board of Directors and sector-based committees liaise directly with various government ministries, departments, and agencies to speak out on behalf of concerns and to exert influence on behalf of association members.
Utilize ACEC-BC to voice concerns on onerous clauses, and stay up to date by receiving ACEC-BC's Onerous Clause Alert Bulletins. Have you come across an onerous clause in an RFP? Please notify ACEC-BC and we will further investigate on behalf of the industry.
MAKE AN IMPACT
Collaborate with like-minded individuals and build your contacts for future partnerships by participating in any of the following committees:
- Building Engineering Committee
- Business Practice Committee
- Membership Affairs Committee
- Municipal Engineering Committee
- Professional Development Committee
- Resource & Energy Committee
- Transportation Committee
- Young Professionals' Group Steering Committee
PROTECT YOUR FIRM
ACEC-BC is pleased to deliver free Lunch and Learns on what to look out for when signing contractual agreements. Educate your employees over a lunch hour on how to avoid onerous clauses and other dangers that can hurt your firm. Contact ACEC-BC to book a presentation at your office.
ACEC-BC has developed or has access to a variety of documents that encourage best standard industry practices. Materials include:
- ACEC 31 (Revised in 2010) Prime Agreement between Client and Engineer.
- ACEC 32 Agreement between Engineer and Subconsultant.
- Further information on other standard contracts can be found under our Resource section.
- For more than 10 years ACEC-BC has partnered with Western Compensation & Benefits Consultants to produce a comprehensive report on salaries, benefits and employment practices of Canadian consulting engineering firms.
- ACEC-BC members can now search for and post project opportunities on BidCentral for free! An estimated $2,000 value per year. Click here to be directed to the BidCentral page.